This is such a Friday-night meal, even though I made mine on a Tuesday evening (granted, it was the night before a public holiday on the Wednesday, so that might explain it). Quick to make - especially if you cheat as I do and use smash (instant mashed potatoes) instead of making it from scratch. I console myself with the fact that the packet of smash does state that it's made of real potatoes...
Anyhow, a quick & easy meal and lovely to eat on the couch, dipping it into the mayo sauce. YUM.
Asian Fishcakes with an orange mayo dipping sauce
Makes about 16 fishcakes
2 frozen haddock fillets
1 packet of instant mash
1/2 onion, cut into big chunks
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
2.5 cm fresh ginger, peeled
1 handful of fresh mint
1 handful of fresh coriander
2 eggs, beaten
breadcrumbs, to coat
sesame seeds, to coat
sesame oil for frying
For the mayo dipping sauce:
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
2ml orange essence (or use a spoonful of tangerine marmalade like I sometimes do)
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Steam the haddock fillets until just cooked.
2. Meanwhile, blend together the onion, garlic, ginger, mint and coriander until finely chopped. Transfer to a mixing bowl, adding the instant mash powder.
3. Add the fish fillets to the blender as well, blend briefly, until well minced. Add to the herb and mash mixture.
4. Add the eggs to the fish mixture, along with enough water to make a softish (yet still firm) batter.
5. In a seperate smaller bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and sesame seeds (about an 8:1 ratio).
6. Heat oil in a frying pan, form fishcakes with your hands, roll in the breadcrumb mixture and fry in the oil until well browned on all sides.
For the dipping sauce:
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve with your freshly-made fishcakes.
Nutritional info (per fishcake): Calories 120.4, Total Fat 5.7 g , Saturated Fat 0.7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.8 g, Cholesterol 48.4 mg, Sodium 47 mg, Potassium 119.4 mg, Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g, Dietary Fiber 1.2 g, Sugars 0.3 g, Protein 7.0 g
Nutritional info (dipping sauce): Calories 381.3, Total Fat 40.0 g , Saturated Fat 6.0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 24.0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 10.0 g, Cholesterol 20.0 mg, Sodium 601.2 mg, Potassium 10.4 mg, Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g, Dietary Fiber 0 g, Sugars 0 g, Protein 0 g