For Andri who was the inspiration behind this cupcake. Thanks for an awesome idea!
Recipe loosely based on the coconut cupcakes I made earlier, with some obvious adjustments. Overall the flavour was great, but I think the cupcake came out a bit dry.Which is weird, because the coconut ones wasn't dry at all. Clearly the addition of the cocoa changes the texture somewhat. Also the chocolate chips tended to sink to the bottom. Overall I'm quite happy with this cupcake (I did mostly wing it after all!), but I'll probably use a chocolate choc-chip cupcake recipe next time I make this and just add the peppermint flavouring to that. That will elevate this cupcake from good to great.
Peppermint Crisp Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon peppermint essence
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup icing sugar
3 tablespoons milk
a few drops of green food colouring
1/4 teaspoon peppermint essence
1 peppermint crisp chocolate (or other mint flavoured chocolate), crushed
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a muffin tin and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until crumbly. Add eggs, beating well.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the butter/sugar/egg mixture, alternating with the milk.
4. Finally stir through the peppermint essence and chocolate chips.
5. Divide evenly amongst the 12 holes in the muffin tin (should be about 2/3 full) and bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven, gently loosen each cupcake around the sides, take out of the tin and place on a wire cooling rack. Let cool down before icing.
6. To make the icing - combine the icing sugar with the milk to form a smooth paste. Add the food colouring and peppermint essence and stir to distribute evenly throughout the icing.
7. Spread each cupcake with the icing and immediately dip into the crushed chocolate.
Nutritional info (per cupcake): Calories 201.2 Total Fat 6.3 g Saturated Fat 3.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.1 g Cholesterol 52.5 mg Sodium 95.9 mg Potassium 81.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g Dietary Fiber 1.2 g Sugars 15.7 g Protein 3.2 g