- Tired of the same old, same old root veggies? How about some watermelon radishes with their super funky colours. I have not seen 'em before on these shores, but I'm going to try my darndest to track some down come winter.
- Perfectly crunchy onion rings, baked in the oven. I would be happy with these, and just these, for supper. (thanks for the pointer, Voer)
- My FFF* award goes to Sardines on Toast. Although not a few find, he constantly inspires with his innovative food and flavour combinations (isn't the melon salad at the very bottom the prettiest thing you have ever seen?) and laidback accounts of his life on the Western Coast of South Africa. Luckily for us in the Western Cape, his small town restaurant is just a two hour drive away from Cape Town in the picturesque town of Paternoster - perfect for a weekend breakaway.
- I cannot stop marveling in awe at the performance of my new Wusthof Paring Knife. It gives new meaning to the phrase "like a hot knife through butter" - even when slicing tomatoes. Yes, it was a freebie but that doesn't detract one iota from it's awesomeness. You should get one. And while you're at it, buy
methe rest of the set too.
- My favourite recipe for 2011 so far was my Coconut Iced Coffee. What a lifesaver. Best you try it while it's still smoking hot outside.
- You know I love some good humour (even if it's non-food related) - I think everyone can relate to hideous shower faucet temperatures. Right? Right. It's a never ending battle.
- In fact, just thinking about it makes me want this eggless chocolate cake. Because chocolate makes everything better. Didn't you know? (thanks Whipping it Up)
- And talking about all things chocolate-y I am here to tell you that Nigella is pure evil. I'm sure you've seen her - the hourglass figure, seductive lips and shiny hair merely a cover up for her evil kitchen creations. Tempting poor souls all around the globe to walk to their corner grocery store at 6 pm on a Saturday night to buy the ingredients for her Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake. And then proceed to bake said cheesecake on the same night. Clearly the woman is hellbent on
worldchocolate domination. She must be stoppedencouraged.
*FFF = Favourite Foodie Find