I got the recipe from Love & Olive Oil (one of my favourite foodblogs) and adapted it slightly according to what I had on hand. These cupcakes are simply delicious, not too sweet, just spicy enough, moist and chewy.
I think they would be good even without an icing, but the matching white chocolate cream glaze (also flavoured with chai spices) is the perfect complement to the cupcake. This one is a keeper and I'm already planning to use the base recipe with some different flavourings added - I'm considering a lemongrass flavoured cupcake with perhaps a lemon curd-ish frosting...
Rooibos Chai Latte Cupcakes
Adapted from Love & Olive Oil
Makes 9 cupcakes (Love & Olive Oil says 12 - maybe I'm using a bigger baking tin?)
1 cup milk
3 rooibos chai tea bags1 chamomile tea bag1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar1 1/4 cups (plus 2 tablespoons) cake flour1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder1/2 teaspoon salt2 teaspoons ground cinnamon1 teaspoon ground cardamom1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon ground cloves1/4 teaspoon ground allspice1/3 cup canola oil3/4 cup brown sugar2 teaspoons caramel (or vanilla) extract
For glaze: *100g white chocolate1/2 cup cream1 1/2 - 2 cups icing sugar1 teaspoon ground ginger1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 teaspoon ground allspice1 teaspoon ground cardamom* The glaze recipe makes a lot more than what you need - reserve the remaining glaze for another use (or another batch of cupcakes!)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. Add teabags to milk and heat in microwave for 3 minutes on high. Allow to steep for a further 5 minutes or so, then remove teabags, squeezing out as much milk as possible. Re-measure, and add more milk to make up 1 cup. Whisk in cider vinegar, and side aside until curdled.
3. Meanwhile sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Pour in tea-milk mixture, along with oil, sugar, and caramel essence, and stir just until no large lumps remain.
4. Divide batter evenly among 9 cupcake liners (liners should be 2/3 full), and bake for 20-22 minutes or until puffed and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
5. For white chocolate glaze: Break chocolate up into the milk, microwave on 60% power for 2 - 3 minutes, until melted. Stir to combine, add spices and add enough icing sugar to make a thickish & spreadable frosting. Spread each cupcake thinly with the glaze. Wait a few minutes until dry, then add another layer. Decorate further as you wish.
Nutritional info (per cupcake): Calories 304.7 Total Fat 12.6 g Saturated Fat 3.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 5.3 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.9 g Cholesterol 6.4 mg Sodium 224.5 mg Potassium 76 mg Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g Dietary Fiber 0.9 g Sugars 14.5 g Protein 3.1 g