This is one of my favourite traditional South African dishes. Bobotie has been heavily influenced by the Cape Malay cooking style and is a curry-flavoured mince bake with a savoury egg-custardy topping. It is traditionally served with 'geelrys' (translation: yellow rice) which is made by adding some turmeric and afew raisins to the pot when cooking normal white rice.
Bobotie is fairly easy to make and I think the ingredients should be easy to find as well. Delicious comfort-food for winter, or serve at room temperature in summer with a nice salad.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 kg (2 1/4 lbs) beef mince (ground beef)
1 thickish slice of white bread
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon medium curry powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup seedless raisins
2 tablespoons chutney (you can also use apricot jam instead of chutney)
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Heat oil in medium frying pan and saute onions over medium heat until transparent. Add
ground beef. Cook until lightly browned and separated.
3. Soak bread in half the milk, squeeze out excess milk and mash with a fork - DON'T TOSS
SQUEEZED OUT MILK! Pour it straight back into remaining milk. Set milk aside, and add the
mashed bread to the meat mixture.
4. Add curry, sugar, salt, pepper, turmeric, vinegar, raisins & chutney to the beef mixture.
Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish, and stick the bay leaves vertically into the top of
the mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Beat egg with remaining milk and pour over meat, return to the oven for another 20 - 30
minutes, or until the egg-misture has set and is golden brown on top.
6. Serve with 'geelrys' and extra chutney.
Nutritional info (per serving): Calories 635.2 Total Fat 42.5 g Saturated Fat 15.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 4.9 g Monounsaturated Fat 17.1 g Cholesterol 220.3 mg Sodium 1,028.2 mg Potassium 644.8 mg Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g Dietary Fiber 1.8 g Sugars 8.7 g Protein 34.9 g